Spring is a beautiful season, but can be the worst time of the year for those who have allergies. Have no fear, spring HVAC maintenance can help reduce the amount of allergens throughout your facility.
Allergens are annoying. They are carried into your office through the air, settle on an array of surfaces like your computer and desk, and make you and your coworkers uncomfortable. Airborne particles like dander, dust mites, mold, and cockroach droppings make the air harder to breathe and cause coughing and sneezing, red eyes, itchy throats, and runny noses. Proper HVAC maintenance, especially in the spring, removes allergens that may already be in your air and helps keep new allergens from entering the air you breathe.
Try these five spring HVAC maintenance tips to get rid of the pesky allergens in your office facility:
- Purchase high-quality furnace filters.
High-quality furnace filters are your first defense against poor air quality in your facility. Look for filters with at least a MERV 8 rating to trap more microscopic particles, reducing indoor allergens. Check filters monthly, and replace them at least every three months. A dirty furnace filter won’t trap debris, and could make your system less efficient.
- Get rid of debris around the outdoor unit…and the indoor one.
The outdoor AC unit pulls air from outside through your HVAC system, and that air eventually circulates throughout your facility. Check for dust and debris, and clear it away from the unit as often as possible to keep it from being pulled into your office. Don’t forget about the indoor unit, either. Just like the outdoor unit, if dust and debris are around the indoor unit, it will eventually end up circulating throughout your facility. Sweep, vacuum, and dust the area around the indoor unit often to reduce excess allergens in your system.
- Check for mold.
Mold thrives in humid, moist environments. Take a look at the ducts, condensate drip pan and drain, evaporator coils, and the air handler every few weeks to check for signs of mold. Mold spores don’t just cause allergies. If left unchecked, certain molds can cause sickness and even death. If you find mold, you can remove small amounts on your own, or call a professional for bigger problems.